You know the old adage, "When it rains, it pours,"? Well, I really feel like it's pouring.
The clutter monster is alive and well in my living room, kitchen, and piano studio. I have a SMALL sense of relief that paper clutter in my bedroom is minimal, and it is non-existent in the dining room. Later this evening it will be time to get out the medication and load up some pill boxes for MIL and FIL, so the dining room will have some whirlwind moments shortly.
There is a 6-ft-long hole in our office/guestroom wall. A little pipe had to be fixed (it drains from the A/C). The water that dripped from this little pipe into the actual wall probably dripped for a month, maybe two, on and off; it took us that long to figure out what was going on! A moldy baseboard, wet drywall, and wet insulation were removed not quite 2 weeks ago, and wet carpet was untacked and folded back to reveal wet padding & moldy tack strips. The studs were wet & dark, and once they dried, we could see some mold. The mold man said last week that we have a mold issue, but it's a small one and it shouldn't be difficult to fix. The adjuster from our HO insurance said that it was a maintenance issue, not a "sudden & accidental loss", therefore we are totally on our own with mold remediation and repair expenses. I am NOT happy that we had to wait a week for an adjuster to come out, only to hear that they won't help. Unfortunately for the adjuster, this whole thing is very emotional for me, as I want our house to be PERFECTLY READY FOR A BABY, and it is not that way right now. I did a lot of crying this afternoon (while he was here and after he left). I am REALLY hoping to have all remediation and repairs DONE by Sept 24, but I don't know how exactly that's going to happen.
Wednesday was a frustrating day with the in-laws during their visit to the doctor, but I did keep my composure. I am still flabbergasted that my MIL actually LIED to her server in the dining room at the retirement home about her diabetes last week, just so she could get a "regular" dessert. What?!?!? Silver-lining is that she confessed (AFTER she ate it, mind you) because she didn't want to get the server in trouble. She laid this on us on Sunday. At the doctor, I asked her about a medication that she self-administers one evening a week, without our supervision, only to have her tell me that she quit using it 3 WEEKS AGO. ?!?!?!?!?! There was more; I'll spare you the long version, but I was definitely feeling the strain.
To top it off, about an hour ago I drove by the library to return some books, rolled down my window to drop them in the book drop, and upon pressing the UP button heard a crackling metal/glass sound. The window stayed down. Needless to say, I will be shopping around Tuesday to see how much it costs to get a regulator replaced these days.... I spent a half hour pulling the window most-of-the-way-up and jamming stuff in the edges to keep it from falling all the way down again.
[sigh]
I am thankful that there is no rain in the forecast this weekend.
I am thankful that David was not planning to take my car on his trip tomorrow to see his Noles play and that his plans are not disrupted.
I am thankful that loving friends have already invited me over to eat and watch the Gators.
I am thankful that we already passed our home study for the adoption.
I am thankful that I already know a mechanic (or 2!) that I trust.
I am thankful that MIL only has 1 DR appt in the coming week and I'll have time to get the car fixed.
I am thankful that MIL and FIL are in reasonably good health, physically, even though their mental health is in a certain state of decline.
I am thankful that PATIENCE is a fruit of the Spirit.
I am thankful that David earned extra money this summer and that some of it will be in his paycheck at the end of Sept, because we'll need it!!
I am thankful that the mold problem is small and can be fixed in a day or 2.
I am thankful that we will not be home-bound without electricity enduring the wind & rain of a giant hurricane (as we were on Labor Day weekend 2004).
I am thankful that in spite of the frustrations around me, I can depend on the provision and love of my Father God, who supplies my needs, even my need to vent through this blog.
I am learning the art of inverted parenting. I work with my husband to care for his parents while we wait for the day God sees fit for our child to come home through adoption. HE is my strength!!
Sep 3, 2010
It's RAINing, it's POURing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Awww friend! I hate when it pours like that! I love that you still found thankfulness in the midst of it all. Sorry friend for your troubles! Praying for you for a new week. His mercies are new EVERY morning!
ReplyDelete