Nov 27, 2008

Day of Thanks

If you were to ask me to name my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving would rank right at the top, just behind Christmas, with Easter coming in third. In my mind, it's pretty much a photo finish for all 3. I love Thanksgiving so much that I refuse to decorate for Christmas until that Thursday has passed. (Of course, I'm not a major decorator, so it's not really a huge deal.)

I have always enjoyed Thanksgiving; sharing a meal with extended family, remembering people and things for which I am thankful, and verbally THANKING God for those. My Dad's birthday usually falls around Thanksgiving, ranging somewhere between the day after and one week after, so we often spend the holiday with my parents. This year his b'day falls on Saturday.

For me, I think Thanksgiving has almost always included travelling. In my adult years, it definitely always included travelling. The first year David and I were married, we loaded up the car and brought his parents up to N Georgia to share Thanksgiving with my parents. What great memories! Last year we travelled 4.5 hours to see my parents, then another 4 to see my sister and brand-new baby Ethan and share Thanksgiving dinner. 2 or 3 years ago, we planned to travel south to see David's parents for Thanksgiving, and my parents planned to head to the same area to see my grandparents. I got sick, so WE couldn't go down, and I was disappointed at the idea of staying home. However, my Dad got sick, and THEY were stuck home too, so David agreed to go up and be sick with my mom & dad rather than stay home and see no one.

We stayed home this year, because of many reasons, but I am still thankful, though honestly the FEELING of thankfulness is not coming quite as easily to me this year. David has been sick since Monday night, and while I am doing my best to take care of him, I can't make him FEEL better. I can't help looking on the bright side, though, and there are many special things about this year that I can share with MY LORD and with you.

- We get to share thanksgiving supper with the Edwards family, from our Sunday School class. We have had a hard time really connecting with other folks, to the point that we can spend time with them away from church, and it will be nice to spend this kind of time together. I am thankful for the new bonds that may be forged in our friendship today.

- I got to spend some time in the kitchen making food to bring for Thanksgiving dinner, and I will get to prepare some more today, starting with a pancake breakfast for my hubby. I really do LIKE to cook, especially when I have time to devote to it instead of throwing something together at the last minute. I am thankful for the food and the ability the Lord has given us to make it a creative expression of ourselves.

- David's niece Missy is in from CA visiting her mom in nearby Sylvester, so we will be celebrating a second-Thanksgiving on Sunday afternoon with extended family. I am thankful for a family tie close by, even if genealogists might not consider it so.

- For the past few weeks, I have been down at the theater 5 or 6 days a week, but with the holiday here, there are no rehearsals for the play until Sunday afternoon. I am thankful for the opportunity to spend time alone with my husband, though I must admit, I want him to get better so we can REALLY enjoy it. ;-)

- I will miss seeing my dad on his birthday, but I was able to send him a present via my mom so he will have it on his special day. I am thankful for the technology of the webcam so I can watch Dad open his birthday present.

- I have been flooded with memories this week, thanks to my sister and the reflecting SHE has done in these days leading up to Thanksgiving. On Melanie's blog, she shared thoughts of Thanksgiving 1989; it was a tough one for my dad and his siblings, since Grandpa died the day before Thanksgiving and was buried the day after. I am thankful for my extended family, all across the eastern seabord, and for the memories of my late grandfather, Eugene Lahman, that have been shared here this week; I hope we will be able to do another reunion soon and continue a family legacy of love and togetherness.

For these things, and so much more, I am thankful.

2 comments:

  1. happy thanksgiving amanda!!! hope david is better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you guys! We are very thankful for you two!

    ReplyDelete