Mar 24, 2012

Piano Recital success!

My studio piano recital for 2012 was on March 17 - St Patrick's Day!! It was a busy day for me because of the recital, but I was very mindful of St Pats because it was a holiday my Irish grandmother always loved. I wanted to have green programs... but that didn't work out, so my white programs each wore a green shamrock sticker. I wanted to have a new green blouse... but I couldn't find one I like that was mostly green, so I got one that sported summery flowers and green leaves. I wanted to have peppermint patties for the families to eat at the reception... and I got them! :-)

The recital was a lot of fun, even though it was hard work for David & me. I chose a two-week turnaround between piano festival (an adjudicated event for my students out-of-town) and recital for the sake of the students; I wanted them to be able to perform their festival pieces for their families while they are already sounding good, but 2 weeks is fast for me to get certificates printed, programs typed & printed, and trophy nameplates engraved. It's worth it, though. I don't have any pictures to share... but 21 out of my 26 students were there, and many smiling photographs were taken by their proud parents & grandparents. I understand that one student's dad was out of town, so they used a mobile phone and he was able to watch his son perform via "Facetime". Cool!

For 8 of the students, this was their FIRST recital with me, and they seemed to enjoy themselves very much, even though one student was on crutches, another froze up with stage fright and forgot her piece, and I skipped over another student in the program... and the audience had to catch my mistake! I hope the day will stay in their memories as a positive experience-- playing on a BEAUTIFUL, shiny grand piano, hearing the applause of 100 audience members (that's a LOT for a kid!!), enjoying tasty punch & snacks, getting a certificate and/or a trophy, having their picture taken at the piano (AFTER the recital--not while performing!!) and I hope they will continue making music all their lives, and that doing so will bring them joy.

Thank You, God, for the gift of music, and thank You for enabling me to share it with your children.

1 comment: