So, I've been staying off of facebook this month. One reason I chose to do it was so I could research some additional adoption agencies, and see if we could connect with one or two in an effort to be matched up with the child God has for our family.
I am struggling on so many levels. First, there's that general ache, wanting to be a mommy, yet not having a child. God is faithful, and I am content most of the time, but this past week in particular, it has been very hard. Next, there has been some rejection. I have contacted two agencies that told me they limit the number of out-of-state couples they work with, and they just can't take any more right now. I'm also struggling with fear. I asked one of the agencies if they could provide some recommendations, and when I did a search a the place they suggested, I found articles & blogposts about ethics violations, loss of license, and scary stuff like that. I don't want to be so eager to adopt a baby that I fall victim to shady people who just want our money. On the flip side, though, I don't want to be suspicious of every agency I find.
I want to be patient and wait with grace. Yet, if God would have us find "our baby" with another agency, I don't want miss out because I was complacent and never attempted to contact other agencies. YET, I don't want to run ahead of God's will or kick in a door that He has shut. I took a deep breath and called an agency today; I left a voicemail message without crying and was very proud of myself. However, they saw my # on the caller ID (I had cycled back to the operator station a couple of times while deciding who to leave a message for, and as a result their phone rang a lot...) so they thought I had called several times, and they called me back. I should have been glad to get to talk to someone so quickly, but instead I was fighting tears during my conversation with the caseworker, and I cried when I hung up the phone. Tears have been streaming through most of my typing of this post, actually. I don't want to be an emotional wreck, but sometimes my emotions well up A LOT when I have to talk about our situation to someone who doesn't know us.
Sometimes I think it would be easier to stop looking for additional agencies and go back to surfing through facebook, but then, I won't really learn anything about myself or about truly leaning on HIM through the tough stuff if I just avoid the tough stuff and spend my time on mindless games.
God, I trust You. You are faithful to Your people. Your Word does not return void. I believe we are on an adoption journey because it's where You called us to be. It's just really hard right now. In my weakness, be strong for me.
My sweet sister, I love you and ache for you. I can imagine what it must be like to have the longing of a mother yet motherhood is just out of your reach. My heart hurts.
ReplyDeleteI love you! God gives, Amanda. He withholds too but only for his glory! I pray that He refines you during this waiting process and that when he chooses to bless, His name will be more greatly praised and you will be more reliant on Him.
I don't know of any other words to say other that I want you to keep writing about this process. Pour out your heart. I want to hear and see it.
I can't wait to see you soon! Love you!
Hi Amanda - I was led here through Mel's post on Facebook. I don't know your pain but I hear it through your typing. I'm sorry you're hurting and I pray you see God's path clearly and become a mommy soon :)
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Courtney (Mel's old roommate and crazy friend from Hickory Grove)
Hi Amanda,
ReplyDeleteThis is Steph (Melanie's high school friend) and I just wanted to encourage you today. My husband and I have also been married 11 years. We blissfully got pregnant within our first year of marriage. I carried our son full-term, then God chose to take him home. We found out very quickly how very precious little lives are. Though God chose to bless us with 2 biological daughters, we still felt the desire to adopt. We adopted our son (4 years old now) from Guatemala in 2007 and feel so blessed for this gift of adoption! The wait for him was SO difficult that I completely relate to the roller-coaster ride you're on right now.
I know this is a long post. If it helps, we used Christian World Adoption and were very pleased with them. I don't know what state you live in, but they are located in South and North Carolina. (We're in Florida still.)
I will keep you in my prayers. All I can say is trusting in God is the BEST way to get through each day.
Much love,
Stephanie
Oh, Amanda!! What a blessing that child is going to receive when God's timing works its way out!
ReplyDeleteI know this pain from going through a (very, very) long adoption process with my sister and the comfort I can give you is that the baby they were finally able to bring home is absolutely, 100% God's perfect choice for her family - positively worth waiting for - not that that makes the waiting any easier.
Keep writing your way through it!!
praying for your pain my friend. In reading this week's "David" study - it's ok to "cry out!" to the Lord - he hears you and will make a way for all this in his time - I pray for a calm joy to come over you in this valley. God loves you so much and knows your heart. Hang in there friend :)
ReplyDeleteOh Amanda, my heart hurts for you. I remember those days of looking at so many doors, and while trusting God to close the ones he doesn't want you to walk through, you still have to walk. And every step is heavy. Praying God will give you great courage and peace and comfort as you wait and walk.
ReplyDelete