You know, God is pretty amazing. He is in control of the large and the small, the "important" and the minutia.
I decided about two months ago that I wanted to purchase another Bible. I just bought a new one last Spring because it had wide margins to write in, but it's a newer version (Holman Christian Standard) and I don't want to memorize that version. My pastor preaches out of NASB, and I memorized NASB when I was in Christian school back in the day.
My "school" Bible is falling apart; chunks of the New Testament started coming loose when I was in college. At first it was kind of cool - I could take out the section with I Corinthians and hold it next to a section of Hebrews, easy cross-referencing - but now that I don't carry a backpack every day, it's likely I would lose sections carrying it back & forth. SO, I decided to buy myself NASB.
Since this purchase fell more in the category of WANT than NEED, I decided to shop for my "new" Bible on Ebay. I opted for a thinline, leather-bound Bible; the hardcover ones I have are quite heavy, and I know that I'll appreciate having a little less weight to haul around, ESPECIALLY once we get a baby. :-) Anyway, I purchased a secondhand Bible that had the previous owners name engraved on the front. No biggie for me. Bible + shipping was under $20, so I was happy.
Well, once the Bible arrived, I was surprised to discover that it was relatively new - the inscription to the previous owner was dated in May of 2008, right around graduation season. Nevertheless, I toted it around for a few weeks, contemplating how I could personalize it for me instead of "Chris B", whose name was already on it.
My mom gave me a great tip for removing the engraving, but before I did that, I decided to Google the original owner just to make sure he didn't want the Bible back. I figured he must have given it away or sold it for me to get it on ebay, but JUST IN CASE he lost it, I though it would be good to try to contact him.
I was surprised when he replied to the message I sent him on Facebook... he had lost the Bible over a year earlier and had given up on finding it. He said he had bought another Bible of a different version, but that the Bible *I* had was special to him because it was a gift from his Dad and his church. He was amazed that (a) the Bible had turned up and (b) that I actually contacted him and offered to send it back to him! I agreed to mail it to him (which took two tries... another long story...), and he sent me a cashiers check for $50 (he came up with the amount... not me). Later this month, I'll be going back to Ebay to shop for a new (un-engraved) Bible for myself.
Thank you, Lord, for showing me (and Chris!) how you care about the little things in our lives. Thank you for using me to bring joy to a stranger; may your word continue to enrich BOTH of our lives.
that's the coolest story!!!! made my day :)
ReplyDeleteThis is such a great story, Amanda. I'm sure Chris B. will remember this blessing and pass it along in his life. Your small gesture will have resonating influence, hopefully, for many people.
ReplyDeleteIt's good that he had a facebook page... FB may be a "time toilet", but it came in handy for this situation. :-) When he emailed me back, I was VERY relieved that I found him before I tried to unengrave his name from the leather bible with rubbing alcohol and a toothpick. Eeeek!
ReplyDeleteTotally cool!
ReplyDeleteI totally love how much He loves us in the small details of our life! Way to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit!
ReplyDelete